pipikwan pêhtâkwan is an Indigenous owned, led and majority staffed public relations agency focused on elevating Indigenous voices, projects and issues. We primarily serve Indigenous businesses, organizations and communities to bring their voices to the mainstream media and general public, while ensuring Indigenous Peoples maintain ownership of their initiatives and stories. The pipikwan pêhtâkwan team prides ourselves as helpers who understand the barriers and know the language that resonates with our peoples. We collaborate with our partners to build communications strategies that work for Indigenous communities.
Reporting to a Communications Manager, the Communications Advisor will be responsible for supporting the development of various work with multiple clients. The successful candidate will have experience creating communications strategies and implementing tactical plans, liaising and consulting with the team to develop and implement strategic communications plans. Responsibilities include:
- Strategic & Tactical Communications
- Collaboratively developing and implementing communication strategies and tactical plans.
- Executing on multiple projects concurrently, while managing client-driven deliverables and timelines.
- Aligning deliverables with organizational and client goals, timelines, branding and project objectives.
- Supporting the organization by ensuring adherence to protocols, procedures and policies.
- Ensuring work for clients is thoroughly edited, consistent, has appropriate tone, and is high quality.
- High-quality, strategic communications support ensuring work for clients is meeting corporate brand standards and client expectations (e.g. thoroughly edited, consistent, high-quality and has appropriate tone).
- Team Contributions
- Reviewing draft materials and providing insightful and constructive feedback.
- Building meaningful relationships to facilitate open, transparent dialog and collaboration with the team.
- Media Relations
- Developing and maintaining relationships with journalists and media outlets.
- Pitching content to media outlets and relations, as required by pipikwan pêhtâkwan and its client base.
- Monitoring media coverage.
Skills & Competencies:
- Experience applying theory and practice to develop compelling visual, verbal, written materials, and framing communication for diverse audiences.
- Experience researching, writing and editing a wide range of communications tools.
- Ability to organize and execute on multiple projects concurrently, liaising with clients, and managing staff deliverables and timelines.
- Ability to identify issues and mitigate challenges.
- Superior attention to detail and communications skills (written and verbal).
- Experience with G Suite – Google Workspace, Microsoft Office suite.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop), Canva, WordPress, and project management software is considered an asset.
- Degree or diploma in communications, public relations, journalism, English or a related field plus a minimum of three years of directly related communications experience.
- Experience developing and executing communication strategies.
- Strong writing and editing skills.
- Education and practical knowledge of principles, practices and techniques of marketing, public relations, and business communications (e.g. public-relations, marketing, crisis communications, media relations).
- Experience with issues management and media relations.
- Able to work a flexible schedule including days, evenings, and weekends.
- Ability to travel, on occasion.
- A valid Class 5 driver’s license is considered an asset.
Position: Status: Permanent, Full-Time (35-40 hours/week)
Salary Expectation: $60,000 – 70,000
As this agency is focused on working with Indigenous communities, preference will be given to applicants who identify as Indigenous, Black, or as a person of colour or people with extensive experience working with Indigenous communities.
A competitive benefits package included. Benefits for full-time, permanent staff include paid vacation, personal days, flexible work schedules, remote work from home, four-day work week, health insurance, and an awesome collaborative and supportive team culture.
Deadline for applications is Friday March 11, 2022. Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.